I spent the next few days in Mammoth working on website and digital marketing projects, resting and reflecting as I waited for the next storm cycle that would drop over four feet of snow in the Sierras. I slept in my deck bed, showered at the RV village, worked at the library and met some new friends, one of which welcomed me into his home for a few nights stay. It was far from a five star adventure, but it was life and I was striving to maximize each moment.
As the storm rolled in I met new friends, got an invite to ski one day in the backcountry and skied one epic resort day followed by some of the heaviest powder skiing ever.
My journal entry from a day skiing in the backcountry….
"I love mountains and that will never change. All the sacrifices for these experiences have undeniably been worth it. My respect and love for the mountains only continues to grow the deeper and further I go. It is truly amazing how variable mountains are, how one simple turn may yield pow on Northern aspects and sun baked avy danger on others."
Final Day..... The adventure evolves.
"Later Mammoth. Thanks for the pow turns and new adventures."
As I turned my car onto 395N with my GPS and mind set for Squaw Valley, something started to change. Another 2-4 feet of snow was forecasted, I had friends from Central Oregon to link up with, projects to complete that would create cash flow on the road and a place to stay in Squaw at no cost. Everything seemed perfect.
I felt like I was living in fairy tale, after three weeks on the road, pow skiing in three different states and experiences that make me smile. Was this real life? Did I need to slow down? Was something bad about to happen? Was the forecast true for Squaw? What was the temperature going to be?
As I moved closer and closer to the resort, I repeatedly checked the forecast for Squaw Valley. I probably checked three different forecast networks five times each, as if they were going to change. My internal communication system began telling me to turn around, to head back to Oregon. I fought this battle between my subconscious mind which wanted to experience Squaw Valley on a powder day and my conscious which telling me that something very bad was going to happen if I continued. My gut started to turn, I felt sick as if I was going to puke in the middle of the pass. The closer I got, the sicker I got.
Then my internal voice told me to call my good friend Lucas who I had not connected with for months. I dialed. He answered.
Me: Lucas, Whats up brotha? How you been?
Lucas: Good Scott great to hear from you. You’ve been getting after it man. Where you at?
Me: Actually, heading to Squaw, but it does not feel right. How about you?
Lucas: Chilling in Bend, getting ready for Sun Valley.
Me: Epic man. I do not know why Squaw does not feel right. The cards are stacked perfectly, but I feel like something bad is going to happen.
Lucas: Well, I can’t decide for you, but just know that your gut knows best.
Me: You are right man. Might head to Bend, Sun Valley or home to Hood. Who knows, but this is not right.
Lucas: Yeah boy. Hope to shred with you soon.
Me: Me too brotha. Talk soon.
Lucas: Peace Scott.
After my conversation with Lucas I completed a U-Turn not 20 miles from Squaw and changed my destiny to to Bend, Oregon. I instantly began feeling better, and in the moment knew that I’d made the right decision. Maybe it saved my life or someone else's. I will never truly know.
Lessons from the Sierras:
The Adventure Continues - Central Oregon - Backcountry Skiing in The Three Sisters Wilderness and Digital Marketing Meetings --->
Welcome to Scott's Adventure Blog!